Need help but don’t know where to turn? Introducing our NEW Peer Navigation Services!

Need help but don’t know where to turn? Introducing our NEW Peer Navigation Services!

Peer Navigation Services help individuals and their family members find the support, information, services, treatment facilities, providers and/or other resources that best meet their current behavioral health needs.

Peer Navigation Services are provided by Certified Peer Support Specialists or Certified Family Peer Support Specialists who have the lived experience of having a behavioral health condition and/or a family member who has the lived experience of supporting an individual with a behavioral health condition. These individuals are trained and certified in professional ethics and standards for providing peer support.

How does someone access this service?

Individuals and their family members may access Peer Navigation Services by calling or texting 435.776.HELP (4357) or by emailing [email protected].  We will respond to you within two business days.

Is there a cost for this service?

No. Peer Navigation Services provided by CONNECT Summit County are free!

What is the difference between Peer Navigation Services and Peer Support Services?

Peer Support Services are broad and can include more comprehensive one-on-one peer mentoring across a broad range of life domains, including advocacy for the individual and the family members. This usually involves a long-term relationship with the individual or family as they navigate the behavioral health system, create goals and plans for meeting them in a variety of life areas, including work, living situation, financial stability, healthy recreation, self-care, self-expression and making a contribution in the community.

Peer Navigation Services are more directed and targeted at linking individuals and family members to the local supports, services and treatment providers that best meet their current needs. Peer Support Navigators provide not only information and resources, they also provide empathy and insights based on their own lived experience navigating the behavioral health system. They have tips and tools to share about overcoming barriers. They stay up to date and knowledgeable about what the current resources, programs, services and supports are in the community. Because of their unique position and interface between individuals/families who are seeking services and their knowledge of services available in the community, peer navigators can identify gaps in services to bring these to the attention of local mental health authorities.

Can Peer Navigation Services make recommendations and referrals to service providers?

No. Peer Navigation Services can help you clarify what it is you are looking for and can help you find the options available to you and/or your loved ones to meet your identified need(s). They cannot make recommendations or referrals to specific providers or services. It is up to the individual and/or family member to select the option(s) that will work best for them and to initiate contact with providers and/or support services.

Can I call and talk to Peer Navigation Services about my problems if I don’t want to get a resource and/or service provider information?

Peer Navigation Services are NOT a counseling service or peer support service. However, we can help you find counselors and/or peer support workers or groups that may meet your need to talk to someone. Please call or email and we can give you more information!

What if I am in crisis or someone I love is in crisis!? Can Peer Navigation help me?

Peer Navigation Services are NOT crisis services and there is NOT a crisis worker available to assist you in a crisis. If you or someone you love is in crisis, please call your local crisis hotline or 911. The Summit County Crisis Line is 435.649.8347.

Our online directory of providers, services and support is well-organized, comprehensive and extremely helpful. However, there are many questions that cannot be answered by an online search. Here are some examples of the types of questions/topics that Peer Navigation Services can help with:

  1. How do I know if I or someone I know needs help? What are the warning signs?
  2. What are my options for therapy/counseling in Summit County?
  3. What can I do to help my daughter seek treatment? She does not think she needs help.
  4. My father refuses to take his medication. What can I do?
  5. I don’t have insurance. How can I get treatment?
  6. I am a mental health professional in Summit County. How do I join your services directory?
  7. How do I find treatment help for my son who has addiction and mental illness?
  8. My health insurance won’t cover the therapy/medications that I need. Now what?
  9. My adult son’s therapist/provider won’t talk to us and we have important information to share. What can we do?
  10. Who should I call when my loved one is out of control? Suicidal?
  11. Who do I call in a non-crisis situation?
  12. My child is struggling in school and I can’t get the school to do an evaluation. What are my options? Or my child doesn’t qualify for an IEP but she/he still needs additional help or services. Now what?

For more information and/or to contact CONNECT Summit County’s Peer Navigation Services, call or text 435.776.HELP (4357) or send an email to [email protected].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *