ONNECT would like to share important takeaways from our eating disorders events titled, “Dying to Be Thin,” which were held May 30, 2018 and October 15, 2018. A panel discussion followed the clips, which included discussion of a new disorder – “orthorexia” (exercising and eating ultra-healthy to the point of obsession) with Karen Malm (PhD, Summit Community Counseling), Melissa Taylor (MS, LMFT, Center for Change) and Sloane Pitman (survivor of an eating disorder).
Addressing and treating eating disorders is a critical component of mental health care. Many individuals across the country, particularly women, will face the challenges of dealing with an eating disorder during their lifetime. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 0.5% to 3.7% of females have anorexia nervosa. Additionally, 1.1% to 4.2% of women will experience bulimia nervosa during their life time. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
If you are concerned or are suffering from an eating disorder, the following resources are available to you:
- CONNECT Mental Health Resource Directory – Resources for Eating Disorders in Utah: http://summit.ut.networkofcare.org/mh/services/advanced-search.aspx?k=eating
- “Dying to be Thin” Power Point Presentation from Opportunities Night at South Summit High School, October 15, 2018: https://connectsummitcounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Final-Power-Point-Opportunities-Night-2018.pptx
- 28 Signs of Eating Disorders in Young People: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/2018/08/28-signs-of-eating-disorders-in-young-people/
- Park City Weekly Eating Disorders Peer Group
Day of Week: Mondays
Time: 4 – 5PM
Location: 1912 Sidewinder Drive, Suite 213, Park City, UT 84060
This group covers topics relevant to all people struggling with any type of disordered eating. Some topics include, but are not limited to: Body Image, Emotional Eating, Triggers and Coping Skills, Mindfulness, and Self Esteem. Facilitator: Jessica Dell, LCSW
Cost: $25 per session
Sign up: contact Jessica Dell at 801-447-2666 or email [email protected]
- The Center for Change Eating Disorder Treatment Center in Orem, Utah: https://centerforchange.com/
- You may contact eating disorder survivor and our esteemed speaker, Sloane Pitman, on her website, which is located at: http://sloanepitmanwellness.com/
- NATIONAL EATING DISORDERS HELPLINES:
Toll-Free Phone Number: 1-800-931-2237
Hours: 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM (EST) Mon-Thurs; and 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST) Fridays
For 24/7 crisis support, text ‘NEDA’ to 741741
- If you are concerned about yourself or a loved one, this short, confidential screening can help determine if it is time to seek professional help: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/screening-tool
- The National Eating Disorders Association has EXTENSIVE information on eating disorders. Please review this website: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
- Did you know that Adderall, a medication to treat ADHD, can also be an appetite suppressant? McCall Dempsey was a college student when she became obsessed with her eating and exercise habits, later turning to Adderall. Dempsey joined Megyn Kelly on the Today Show in July 2018 to talk about her journey toward acknowledging her disease and seeking help. Dempsey has since started a nonprofit called Southern Smash, where she goes to college campuses to educate students about the dangers of eating disorders: https://www.today.com/video/woman-details-15-year-battle-with-eating-disorder-on-megyn-kelly-today-1276269635833
- Obsession and preoccupation with healthy eating (“orthorexia”) might be all the craze, but IT IS an eating disorder. Registered dietician Heather Caplan joined Megyn Kelly on the Today Show in July 2018 with her story of how she allowed healthy eating and calorie-counting to take over her life. Caplan describes how she got into strict “food routines,” experienced anxiety around traveling due to food availability, stopped menstruating — and how she’s working to overcome it all: https://www.today.com/video/dietician-details-battle-with-orthorexia-obsession-with-eating-healthy-1276280387946
For additional information about this event or the providers, please email [email protected] Thank you!